Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Commitments :: Bronagh Gallagher :: Pulp Fiction

So Bronagh Gallagher isn't a huge name to start with for a connection, but like I said, the Commitments doesn't really have any big names in it, so I have to start somewhere.

She played the short-haired backup singer, Bernie McGloughlin, in The Commitments. In Pulp Fiction, she's Trudi, the friend of drug dealer Eric Stoltz's wife (the one without "all the shit in her face" as Travolta puts it in the movie).

I had rented Reservoir Dogs (or more likely had "borrowed" it without paying from the convenience/video store where I worked... don't worry I returned it) and loved the movie, so was excited when Quentin Tarantino's second movie was about to hit theaters. I didn't realize at the time that Pulp Fiction isn't exactly a good date movie, so I took my girlfriend Emily Safford to see it. I don't remember if she enjoyed herself or not, but I was floored. The retro soundtrack. The haircuts on Travolta and Sam Jackson. The fascinating dialogue. The interlacing stories. Drug use. Jack Rabbit Slim's. Christopher Walken. Marvin's head. Uma Thurman's overdose. Ezekiel 25:17. The Gimp. I had no idea what the hell I had just seen, but I knew I wanted more.

Pulp Fiction is by no means a perfect movie. (I usually find myself fast forwarding through large portions of the Bruce Willis part.) But it without a doubt changed my idea of what movies were allowed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment