Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Coming To America :: Eddie Murphy :: Shrek


Moving on through my DVDs, I get more Eddie Murphy. This time in voiceover form as Donkey, the talking donkey, from Shrek.

There are some movies I own because they are incredible films that I can watch over and over and over again.  There are other movies I own because I liked the movie one time I saw it, and the DVD was on sale for less than five bucks.  Shrek definitely belongs in the second category.

I originally saw Shrek in the theater and was thoroughly entertained.  It just doesn't hold up for me on multiple viewings. I'm not sure if the jokes just weren't that funny to begin with and I was brainwashed by viewing with an audience, or if they're the kind of jokes that are really funny the first time you hear them and then get annoying upon repetition.  I'm sure, "Why did the chicken cross the road?  To get to the other side," was really funny at first.  Just like "Orange you glad I didn't say banana?" and people who, when asked if they got a haircut, say, "No, I got them all cut."

I loathe those people.

But then again, I annoy the hell out of people with my dumb jokes from the Naked Gun (You: "Gum?"  Me: "Yes, it is."), candy bar commercials (You: "Hungry?"  Me: "Grab a Snickers."), and Simpsons quotes ("Where's my burrito! Where's my burrito!").  So maybe I should just give Shrek a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment