Friday, February 18, 2011

Shrek :: Mike Myers :: Austin Powers - International Man of Mystery


Seems like recently on this blog I'm spending a lot of time realizing that a lot of the stars in these movies have really fallen off in quality.  Enter: Mike Myers.

But I'm going to try something different on this entry.  I won't be bagging on Mike for making crap like The Love Guru.  There are lots of other places on the web where you can find that.  Instead I'll keep it positive for as long as I can.

I was in college when Austin Powers came out.  I always remember when a bunch of guys from my floor in the dorms went to see it.  Jorge from across the hall came in afterward and said that the bald guy was really funny... you know... Telly Savalas. Unfortunately for Jorge, he was referring to Mike Myers' second role as Dr. Evil.  We gave him shit for that for a long time.

But he was right.  In the case of this film, Austin Powers is funniest because of Dr. Evil.  As with most great franchises, the hero can only be as cool as the villains he's fighting.  James Bond was at his best against over-the-top villains like Goldfinger and Jaws.  The action figures on G.I. Joe's team were boring.  Give me Destro's silver head over Leatherneck any day of the week.  He-Man's allies sucked (I'm looking at you, Man-At-Arms).  Give me Trap-Jaw with moving jaw piece and interchangeable arm-weapons, Tri-Klops with the spinning eye piece, Kobra Khan who squirted water when you pressed his head down, or even Stinkor, the figure that smelled like a skunk (I think my parents threw that one away because of the smell... though I'll never be sure).

But I digress.  Austin Powers' best scene: Dr. Evil and his son, Scott Evil, in group therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment